Wednesday 8 December 2010

A Walk in the Parisian Snow

It was my first time to really see snow falling all day. I had gone out for my walk earlier in the morning, at the same time to buy flowers for the church, all bundled up in layers as we had been having negative temperatures for more than a week. So early in the season, I thought, to be having this low, cold temperatures. That was not going to keep me from getting my walking exercise done.

But today turned out differently. What started out as light shower of snow flurries picked up steam by lunchtime, and began to sound like heavy rain coming down.


But when I looked out the window, it was snowing heavily.


The snow had started to pile up. I thought that it might be fun to go out and walk in the snow. And we did, my daughter and I.


The first thing we noticed was the dirty slush. While walking on 4 inches of snow on the sidewalk, we had to be careful as it was slippery.


The use of public bikes is a popular mode of transportation for people working in the city. When we got to this bike station, I wondered how the people who relied on biking to work would be able to bike to go home.


Getting to the street from the sidewalk was not easy. We ended up soaking our boots in slushy water, when they sank deeper than we thought.


With soaking feet we continued towards the Champs Elysees, via rue Marignan, wondering how it would look like.


There were not as many people here, for a change.
m

After our 2 supermarket stops, it started to get dark.
m


We headed back on another route.
m

The Champs Elysees rond point was all aglow with more lights plus glistening snow.


Soon, we found ourselves by the beginning of the Christmas market.


The roasted-chestnut cart was inviting...


...but we succumbed to macarons artisanales, instead.

A time check indicated we still had one hour to go to church, to hear mass in honor of the feast of the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception.


We had to get going as we remembered that we could only walk at a much slower pace. When we got to this corner, I looked at the display window of Chanel, slipped and lost my balance, and fell on my left knee. Thanks to an umbrella I was holding, it helped anchor me and prevented me from falling down all the way. The moral of the story is I will always have to look on the ground I walk, in this kind of condition.

13 comments:

  1. Did you have any of the roasted chestnuts? -Joyce (not quite anonymous :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been such a beautiful walk! (Katrina Perdices-Chamsay)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lights are beautiful - am glad you made it home safe - Malu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I experienced the worst snow in New York and it was beautiful. To be honest, even the garbage are piled with snow. The city was sparkling white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When snow falls on anything, it's like an artist...it makes everything look prettier. But walking n the snow is something else. It can be treacherous. One really needs to mind what he/she is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paris is my favorite city in the world...and it is probably so much more beautiful with snow and all...enjoy it but be very careful YB----BB

    ReplyDelete
  7. BB, c'mon over...you should be walking around with me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brrrr...looks so cold! I haven't been in that much snow since my NYC days - I will probably bring my construction boots for walking around! Stay warm LUMU

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it's been very cold in the last 2 weeks. The pattern will just change a bit next week, but it will still be quite cold. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed the walk with you, without the slush. Never been to Paris during winter. Enjoyed the winter wonderland walk so much... I know now I would like to visit Paris and sing I love Paris in the winter!!!... 3rd try JMVDD

    ReplyDelete
  11. does it normally snow there this much? i love the christmas lights on the trees. paris is beautiful. the last time i was there was, ahem, in the mid '70s. que horror. thanks for sharing. they were great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What we experienced last December 8th was normally something typical for the month of January. It was such an unusual occurrence, that's why I thought of going out to see what the unusual heavy snow fall had done to the city. I love taking night-time shots. With the lights on, they always look more dramatic.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails