Sunday 11 October 2009

I started cooking and baking at the age of eight. When our cook went on vacation, my mom would start cooking as soon as I got home from school. She would, then, leave me a set of instructions to manage the kitchen while she tended her garden. My mom loved gardening - she was doing her own grafting of bougainvillas and she came up with her own unique and variegated colors.

As for baking, my mom made all our birthday cakes and cake presents for others celebrating a birthday or an anniversary. I used to watch her do everything. I was her shadow. I became her assistant in cooking, baking, sewing, gardening and craft making. She would explain everything as she went about what she was doing and then would have me do exactly as she showed me. I do not know if I was born as a visual learner or I was trained to be one by my mother, as I was always able to replicate what she told me to do.

When I was 23, my father Suffered a serious heart attack and was hospitalized for some time. I ended up running the whole household. When he came home, my responsibility was to pay special attention to my father's special dietary requirements. Thus, Began the quest for healthy living. I searched and developed recipes that were designed to help with my father's continued recovery...so began my close relationship with the kitchen.

5 comments:

  1. i'm looking forward to reading your blog yogi! more power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yogi, you are a gift and an inspiration to those whose lives you touched...I am one of those blessed...I will always be praying for your safety, good health and be free to do what you do best...Godspeed...Liza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yogs, you know in our place in Zamboanga we had one of the most beautiful collection of Boungainvillas. That's why they called it the City of Flowers. My grandma and aunts use to graft them to create beautiful colors and varieties. I learned this from them and in our home in Manila I use to graft the little roses called Pitiminis. I must have been 12 yrs old when I learned this. I use to help them pick coffee and roast them in a big tocho. I
    loved sucking on them for their bitter sweet flavor. I would pick Sampaguitas the double once that grew wild like a huge carpet under some trees and string them for the Sta Cruzan in the afternoon. What great memories and how blessed we are to have them. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am following the food trail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi, Cay, and Chris...I hope you are catching up with my latest posts. Please sign in on the right-hand column so you will get notices about new posts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails