Saturday 27 November 2010

A Health Food: Chunky Guacamole

On regular days or on special occasions, guacomole is a much requested food item by my children. Of all the ways I had prepared it, this has come to be the favorite. I like it chunky.


Ingredients:
1 to 2 pieces of avocado, at the ripening stage but still a bit firm
1/4 to 1/2 of a lemon (depending on the size)
1/4 C. of Coriander (cilantro)
Half a medium sized onion, diced
1/2 tsp. of garlic, finely chopped or garlic pressed (lessen quantity according to your preferences)
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Procedure:
1. In a bowl, throw in the garlic, chopped onion, chopped coriander (cilantro)
2. Cut avocado into halves. Take each half and score the meat with the blunt side of you knife in a diagonal direction, then crisscross in another direction.


3. Scoop the meat into the bowl with the other ingredients, squeeze lemon for the juice to land on the top of the avocado meat, season with sea salt and pepper and toss lightly, and lastly drizzle some EVOO over it and give it one more toss. Adding some EVOO gives it a Mediterranean flavor, and along with the lemon juice it also helps keep the avocado from turning brownish. Here is the finished product, ready to be enjoyed with some corn chips.


When I do prepare my food, most of the time I eyeball most of my proportions. Note the adjustments you make as to how much of each ingredient you use to make that perfect guacamole, according to your taste.

Avocado is a super food. (http://www.pyroenergen.com/articles07/avocado-health-benefits.htm) I also emphasize the use of sea salt (sparingly) in your meal preparations, as long as it is from a good source and you get your iodine from the other food sources such as in seafood, milk, some meats, and eggs. (http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_6027326_health-advantages-sea-salt.html)

Usually, I buy my avocados in their unripened state. When I get home, I place them in a paper bag and store the bag in a dark place, checking in a day or two to see how much it has ripened. Once ripened, I either prepare it for consumption or store it in the refrigerator.

Avocado is something I serve once or twice a week. It is a rich, tasty addition to my other salsa recipes and my salads, bringing texture, color and good nutrition. As a kid I used to eat it with milk and sugar, and my mom used to make home-made ice cream with it, something I also used to make for my kids when they were growing up.

Get into the habit of eating well. Eat avocados more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails