Monday 22 November 2010

A New Way of Eating, A New Way of Living - Part 1: Juicing

I am on a preventive course as I try to be healthy. Because both my parents lived into their nineties, I would like to be as healthy as possible if I ever get to that age.

I am alarmed at how many of my family and friends have been afflicted by heart disease, diabetes, nerve -related diseases, mental diseases, and cancer. I am saddened that some of them have passed at a relatively young age.

I first heard about the Gerson Therapy from a homeopathic doctor, who recommended it for healthy eating, to help or prevent developing diseases. My DNA predisposes me to contracting some serious illnesses. I got very interested in it and did some research. From this link,  http://www.alternative-cancer-care.com/Gerson_Therapy.html, I gathered so much more information as I started to click on the other links on the right-hand column. This is not just an alternative-cancer treatment, it helps heal the body.

There is also a link in Youtube that is very informative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X23o3RzJuPo. This was the first solid information that I got, via a seminar given by Charlotte Gerson, that led me to juicing.


My son had introduced me to the raw-food diet several years back. Thanks to the websites in the internet, it is easy to find information on the curative and nutritional values of fruits, grains and vegetables.  http://hubpages.com/hub/List_of_Vegetables_Fruits_and_Its_Nutritional_Values_Site

I finally put my heart and mind into this after I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis early this year, for which the doctor said there was no cure as it is a consequence of aging. I am a vegetarian during most days of the week, supplementing it by eating fish once or every two weeks, and adding eggs and yogurt to my diet from time to time, and having occasional cheese treats. But mind you, I end up cheating once in a while with chocolates, pastries, and chips. To keep me from doing this, I avoid buying packaged, processed food stuff.

I am looking to also eliminate dairy products from my diet as I am lactose intolerant. Jane Plant makes for a convincing case as to why we do not need dairy products in our diets. http://www.canceractive.com/cancer-active-page-link.aspx?n=679

Typically, I start my day with a glass of organic apple-cider vinegar (ACV)/honey drink and also before each meal. ACV helps our body to become more alkaline, which helps the body to heal. http://www.bragg.com/books/acv_excerpt.html


After, that is followed by juicing fruits and veggies...my basic combination is green apple, broccoli and carrots. Apples and grapes are my sweetening agents. I also have other combinations by using or adding celery and parsley, bell peppers, sweet potato, squash, zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, kiwi, pineapple, and more. Anything I find in my veggie box in my refrigeration is always a probable ingredient for juicing. They all have nutritional benefits.



In-between meals, I have servings of fruits and nuts that have been previously soaked, http://www.raw-food-living.com/soaking-nuts.html, or take another glass of freshly-made juice.
On a daily basis, I consume between 4 to 6 lbs. of raw fruits and vegetables, using organic when available, which means juicing 2 to 4 glasses a day. I increase my juice intake whenever I can. Each glass of juice is prepared for immediate consumption, with the use of a "masticating" juicer.

From the variety that I include in my daily diet, I am getting my daily requirements of vitamins and nutrients from these plant sources, therefore, there is no need to take the many vitamin supplements I used to. I am aware of possible deficiencies from being a vegetarian, so I pay special attention to specific vegetarian sources for protein, calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B complex and iron sources. For now, I still take calcium, Vitamin B-12 and multi-vitamins (to finish my supply, and fish oil).

You might be wondering what this dietary changes have done for me. For the most part, my pain level has gone down. The pain in my neck area, my chronic tennis elbow, and joint pain on my left knee have disappeared. This positive consequences have encouraged me to continue on this food path.

This lifestyle change in how I eat finds me spending more time in the kitchen to prepare my food. What I save from buying vitamins and supplements are used to buy organic supplies which are triple the price. My rationale behind this is I will be saving on medical costs when I grow older.

In Dr. Amen's book "Change your Brain, Change your Life" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mudf4-ngvUk the brain can be healed from the consequences resulting from the abusive use of drugs, alcohol, tobacco; exposure to environmental toxins, and chemical exposure to one's trade. It is possible with a turn to a healthy lifestyle - a high-quality diet and regular exercise.

I noticed that when I am not in control of what I eat, my pain and body aches return. This happens when I go on a trip or eat out often.

May I invite you to take a look at how you can become healthy. My diet is just as important as my exercise routine. It would be super to grow old with all of you, and still be able to meet up and have a great time, spend time on FB, and maintain a good quality of life.

I am off to the kitchen now for another glass of juice! Then, I will be working on Part 2: Soups, Salsas, and Salads.

4 comments:

  1. Tita Yoggs,

    Wonderful! This is so inspiring! I am so glad you are doing this as well as sharing your success in this blog. This "comments" section provides a nice medium of information exchange of which I'm about to take part :-)

    I started on a raw food diet back in 2003, about a year after having turned vegetarian. I followed David Wolfe's "The Sun Diet Success System" and Patenaud's "Raw Food Recipes" while at Berklee, bought a masticating juicer, a dehydrator, and an automatic sprouter (http://bit.ly/fTwO6T). Right around that time I also discovered wheat grass shots. My poop was nice and green :-)

    About a year ago, I modified my diet upon reading Donna Gates' "Body Ecology Diet" (http://amzn.to/dF7qP1) and seeing that my (by then only partially) raw foods diet wasn't appropriate to address my systemic candidiasis (attributed to long and frequent strong antibiotic cycles throughout life as well as high levels of stress and a "nervous" stomach). The BED diet essentially built upon what I had learned from Wolfe et al and my own experimentation, and brought in a key piece which would help me restore appropriate flora: abundant use of cultured vegetables (raw unsalted sauerkraut, kimchi), cultured drinks (young coconut kefir, milk kefir, apple cider vinegar, kombucha tea), sea vegetables, and digestive enzymes and potent probiotics (http://www.customprobiotics.com/). Fundamentally, the BED distills principles from chinese medicine, ayurveda, the raw food diet, the macrobiotic diet, the "sugar busters" diet, and the "eat right for your blood type" diet.

    This is where I'm at (diet-wise) these days. I haven't been to a doctor in several years (except for checkups) and haven't taken any medications whatsoever, not even a mere Advil. If it weren't for the fact that I bike to work in San Francisco, I would probably cancel my health insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your detailed input, Marc. I will check out the other links you wrote about, as well.

    I am still not diagnosed with any serious conditions and am not on any medication. I would like to keep it this way, that's why, like you, I had been looking into ways to get back to optimum health. I am getting there. Take care and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerson is a very recent discovery for me. I saw the movie "Dying to Have Known" (Krochel 2008) and I was substantially impacted. I proceeded to order Charlotte Gerson's book to learn more about the basis for its alleged power in curing disease at broad. I'm feeling rationally optimistic and wish that you-know-who may give it a serious consideration in the not-so-distant future. The Loma Linda Clinic in Japan (http://www.lomalinda-jp.com/english.html) is only a hop away from the PI. These doctors are purportedly successfully applying Gerson to cancer patients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcos, for my reading assignment in preparation for the Gerson Basic Caregiver's Workshop, I have two books to read: "Healing the Gerson Way, Defeating Cancer and Other Chronic Diseases" by Charlotte Gerson and Beata Bishop and "A Cancer Therapy" by Max Gerson, M.D. I am excited to learn more about this therapy as I believe, like you, that this is promising. I can already see the positive effects from my dietary changes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails